This year, as every year, flu season is here: cold, cough, sore throat, headache, and fever are some of those symptoms that keep us awake all night long.
Find out in this article how you can relieve these ailments and improve your sleep: sleeping well will help you recover quickly!
Prevention is better: if you sleep more, you’ll get sick less
The lack of sleep is a problem that affects many of us, the statistics estimate that over half of the population does not sleep for a proper time.
Research carried out in 2009 at the University of Pittsburgh on 153 volunteers has shown that a lack of sleep changes the reaction of our immune system: When the volunteers were exposed to the virus, those who slept less than 7 hours per night developed up to 3 times more easily the flu than those who slept 8 hours every night.
Keep in mind that sleep allows our immune system to regenerate itself and thus to better protect our body from external viruses: For this reason, you should give priority to your sleep especially during the flu season!
5 simple tips to relieve flu symptoms at night
- Get on: If sinusitis and nasal congestion keep you awake all night, help yourself with gravity. When lying, the airways tend to tighten more easily. Use an extra pillow and keep your head higher than the rest of the body.
- Use a humidifier: In this way, you’ll avoid the drying of the airways that causes nasal congestion and sore throat. Add a few drops of menthol in the humidifier water.
- Drink something warm: Before going to sleep clear and hydrate your nasal airways with a hot infusion or chamomile tea.
- Stand up: If you can’t sleep because of flu, it’s useless staying in bed, take a walk throughout the house, read something, listen to the music, and come back to the bed when you feel really, really tired!
- Help yourself with nasal decongestants: Ask your doctor for advice and if necessary alleviate flu symptoms with medicines.
To sleep well means to live better
Choosing a quality bed system that meets your physical characteristics, will allow you to have a great night’s sleep and a healthier life.