Sleeping well is essential also for a healthy heart. People who sleep little or badly have a greater risk of suffering from heart diseases.
We know how a healthy diet, an average body weight and regular exercise will help keep your heart fit. But don’t forget a good rest! Find out why!
Our heart, the engine of life
The heart is an exceptional organ that works constantly to keep our whole body in full function. Without ever taking a moment of rest!
This is why night time sleep plays a key role on the health of our heart.
What are the risks?
Recent scientific research has proven that people who sleep less than 6 hours a night have a greater risk of heart attacks, diabetes and strokes.
And don’t think these risks concern only elder people! Starting from adolescence, lack of sleep can affect blood pressure and the percentage of cholesterol in the blood, with direct consequences on the health of the heart!
How does the lack of sleep affect your heart’s health?
Dr Phyllis Zee of the Center for Sleep & Circadian Biology explains that:
- good quality sleep increases our heart’s activity by lowering blood pressure during night time rest;
- for this reason, people who don’t sleep enough at night, don’t allow the heart to “slow down” and lower blood pressure;
- furthermore, lack of sleep increases insulin resistance, risky for the development of type 2 diabetes;
- sleeping little can increase the production of C-reactive protein, which in turn increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases;
- finally, don’t forget that sleeping little increases the feeling of appetite and together also the possibility of being overweight!
Make a “whole-hearted” choice: sleep well every night!
Make sure you have a good rest with a suitable bed system: discover the mattresses, bed bases and pillows designed by Manifattura Falomo for every need!